True gravity fail safe - why care?
Our shutters self-close in a fire (or during testing) via a thermal fusible link or via a fire alarm signal, without the need for electricity or battery back ups. This crucial life safety feature is critical because battery back ups are notorious for requiring regular maintenance.
When you choose Ferco, you get a product that will protect you without fail, backed up by the best roller shutter service team available.
- Test Standards: SS 489:2001, BS 476 Pt 22
- Fire Resistance: Up to 4 hours
- Fire Insulation: N/A
- Operation: Motorized
- Min. Box Size: 450mm (d) x 500mm (h)
- Max. Shutter Size: 12m (w) x 7m (h), 12m (w) x 5.3m (h)
- Activation: Fire Alarm Signal, Thermal Fusible Link
- Finishes: Zincalume Steel, Powder-coated
Depending on the size and the application, we use single skin (Left) or double skin (Right) precision cold rolled zincalume steel slats (0.8mm to 1.2mm thick). We provide a standard range of powder coated colors.
Guide rails for (Left) concealed applications or (Right) exposed wall fixed applications are made from 1.5mm thick galvanized steel.
A fire alarm signal conversion panel (Left) will be provided to convert a voltage free signal to the required 24V DC to activate the gravity fail safe descent. (Right) Thermal fusible links are local detection systems to activate the shutters.
The shutter curtain is made of 75mm or 100mm pitch and 17mm wide superior single skin zincalume steel slats, with thicknesses ranging from 0.8mm to 1.2mm depending on the size of the shutter and as specified in the fire assessment report. These slats are manufactured by a roll forming process and constructed of reinforced interlocking slat profiles. The edges of the slats are auto cut-off to (end)lock the axial movement of the interlocked curtains, providing maximum strength and integrity. For larger sizes, we will use a double skin steel slat 75mm or 100mm pitch and 23mm wide, made from 0.8mm thick zincalume steel.
For exposed and face fixing applications, ‘G’ shaped guides made of heavy duty 75mm wide x 100mm deep x 1.5mm thick galvanized steel is used. For concealed guide application, 75mm wide x 75mm deep x 1.5mm thick ‘U’ shaped galvanized steel guides are used.
The leading slat is roll formed from zincalume steel with a thickness equivalent to that of the slat. Two 38mm x 38mm x 4.5mm or 50mm x 50mm x 5mm thick zincalume steel angle bars are bolted to the leading slat to form the bottom bar. For double skin slats, the leading slat is made from 0.8mm thick zincalume steel with mineral rockwool infill.
The shutter box is made out of two heavy duty steel endplates of thickness 4mm to 7mm according to the size of the shutter; joined together using five steel hollow sections of 50mm x 25mm, primer finished in black. Two 50mm x 50mm x 4.5mm thick steel angles with slotted fixing holes are welded with the end plates to fix the shutter box to the building structure.
The barrel is made of a heavy duty seamless steel pipe, welded with axles of dia 35mm to dia 50mm according to the size of the shutter. This barrel is fixed to the right and left endplates with heavy duty sealed roller bearings.
The shutter box covers are made out of 0.8mm thick zincalume steel sheets, with the edges folded to provide rigidity.
The motor is suitably sized with a fully enclosed design. The motor has a high starting torque, built-in gear box and a built-in thermal protector. The motor gearbox has a inbuilt centrifugal type speed governor that reduces the speed of the shutter during gravity descent. An ‘emergency-release lever’ shall be provided for emergency closing operation, which ensures that the shutter can descend by gravity at a rate which is maintained by the in-built speed governor. In case of power failure, an endless hand chain is provided for manual operation from the ground level. Adjustable limit switches are used to set the upper and lower limit for the travel of the curtain.
Push button control
Push button control with ‘up’, ‘down’ and ‘stop’ buttons are housed in a lockable push button box. The outer cover of the push button box is made of stainless steel. Weatherproof NEMA rated push button boxes can be provided as an option.
Activation in a fire
- Thermal Fusible Link: All fire shutters are equipped with fusible link mechanism. Upon sensing a temperature of 70°c, the fusible link mechanism releases the brake of the motor and allows it to descend by gravity.
- Fire Alarm Signal: Where fire shutters are needed to be activated by fire alarm signal, a dual fusible link (electric solenoid releaser) is used which releases the brake of the motor, upon receipt of a 24V DC, 400mA fire alarm signal. A reset pull is provided to reapply the brake on the motor.
1 phase, 230V, 50Hz, 13A / 3 phase, 415V, 50Hz, 20A power supply at shutter box location.
Fire Alarm Signal
24V DC, 400mA, normally open fire alarm signal at fire shutter’s shutter box location. Where a voltage free fire alarm signal is used, a fire alarm signal conversion panel will be provided as needed. See optional activation mechanisms.
- Connection to the heat / smoke detection systems provided by the Building Management System
- Fire Alarm Signal Conversion Panel: A fire alarm signal conversion panel with a battery back-up converts a voltage free (0V) signal to the required 24V DC, 400mA, normally open signal.
- Warning audio alarm and flashing lights
- Remote control
- Weatherproof NEMA rated push button box